Like any other place, St. Augustine experiences its share of natural disasters—namely, in the form of hurricanes. Fortunately, knowing this about our area helps us better prepare to face whatever may come our way. ? It has also helped us establish a greater sense of community in our town. So, there’s no reason to let the thought of a potential storm keep you from living here in St. Augustine! Almost 16,000 have chosen to call our area of the world home, and so many more want to call it home in the future!
Here are some tips to help you adjust to living in a hurricane-prone area!
- Identify and know your evacuation zone.
- Inform out-of-town friends and family of any evacuation plans you put together
- Prepare go-bags so you can leave in a hurry if needed.
- Store drinking water supplies for you and your family
- Pick up a National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio for local radio broadcasts.
- Learn how to secure your storm window shutters and other preventative measures that work best for your location, including any necessary repairs
- Know how to turn off your utilities like electricity, water, and gas
- Stockpile batteries and battery-operated lanterns for any power outage situations
- If you or someone you know will need evacuation assistance, complete and return the St. Johns County Evacuation Assistance Registration Form.
- Plan, plan, plan, and plan some more!!!
The St. Augustine Fire Department and St. Johns County Emergency Management services are great resources for additional information and the most recent updates on any storm situation. Be sure to check out their websites and social media.
Move here because you want to enjoy sunny beaches, beautiful sunsets, and great people!! Call us when you’re ready to make this beautiful place your own!